Friday 1 August 2014

Dairy Free Blackberry and Lemon Cupcakes


I have been so busy lately but seem to have nothing to show for it. My mother went out the other day to pick some blackberries whilst hinting that my dad had nothing sweet to take into work. So there I was yesterday trying to think of what to bake and was oblivious to this huge tub of blackberries in the corner of the kitchen just staring at me. I am not a strong fan of blackberries and the thought of blackberry butter cream makes me feel sick slightly. Despite this I decide to use them and mix it with some lemon to add some more tang. Surprisingly they taste so good but I just wish I note down how much I add of each ingredient. This can be by goal this summer! 

Some of the extra ingredients:
  • 1 Lemon for lemon juice in the cake batter and frosting
  • and lemon zest inside the cake 
  • Spoonful of lemon curd
  • A couple of handfuls of blackberries

The center of the cupcakes are filled with mushed up blackberries mixed with lemon curd! Sounds odd but it just works, trust me! 

Here it goes..

What you'll need

3 eggs (measure.. mine were approx 207g.)
207 grams of
Self Raising Flour
Caster Sugar
Pure Sunflower Margarine
---
1 Lemon (maybe 2)
Tbsp Lemon Curd 
Couple of handfuls of Blackberries
Stork Butter Block
Icing Sugar

Pre heat fan oven to 180 C and line 12 muffin cases. 

Cupcakes

  1. Mix the butter and sugar together until smooth and pale
  2. Beat in one egg at a time 
  3. Cut half the lemon and squeeze the juice to the mix (to taste)
  4. Slowly sift in the flour, using a wooden spoon mix with a figure of 8
  5. Add the zest of 1 lemon


Fill muffin cases and bake for approx 20-25 minutes until spongy on top and a toothpick comes out clean!

Filling

  1. Mush a couple of handful of blackberries using a fork
  2. Add a tbsp of lemon curd and mix


Once the cupcakes are cooled scoop out the centers and fill. Replace the cake back on top

Lemon Butter Cream

  1. Whisk the block of Stork butter
  2. Slowly add icing sugar using a wooden spoon. You'll probably use half of a small box
  3. Squeeze some lemon juice until to taste
  4. Add a tiny amount of yellow food gel

Use your favourite piping nozzle to pipe and decorate using the extra compote or with a blackberry! 





:) Nom nom! Summer sorted! 

xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment