Thursday 17 July 2014

A Month in Thailand... #1

I am back!! (however much I don't want to be). Thailand was incredible, the more I look at my photos and videos the more I appreciate how amazing and beautiful it all was.

I kept a daily'ish diary which I want to convert into some blog posts about certain areas and in general lots of photos from my time in Thailand. I had never been travelling before but it was defiantly an experience that I will never forget and now understand completely the love people have for travelling the world! 

 First stop: Bangkok 17th June 2014! 

After the long 11 and half hour flight we left the airport and headed into the city via airport shuttle (100% the cheapest option to get around the city centre). Looking like lost tourists we managed to talk to others and helped each other navigate to Tourist Central aka.. Khao San Road. Unlike many backpackers we decided to stay off this main road and stayed in Viengtai Hotel, on the calmer road behind Khao San. Still nosy but the bars and restaurants had a much nicer vibe and you were a little less harassed by all the Tuk Tuk drivers! 

18th June 

After buying some Elephant pants.. which we named our 'Temple Outfit' for the rest of the trip, we walked to The Grand Palace & Temple of the Emerald Buddah. Located in the heart of Bangkok, it is a must for any tourist! I wish I had read more about it before I went but I can always do that later. It was beautiful, so much gold. 

Located directly adjacent to the Grand Palace is Wat Pho, also known as the Reclining Buddha. This is one of the largest and oldest wats in Bangkok and is home to more than one thousand Buddha images; which we started naming i.e. Disco Buddha, Grandad Buddha etc! We got our first Tuk Tuk today too and discovered the beauty of fruit shakes from a lady just off Khao San Road! 

The evening arrived and we got chatting to some English guys in a bar just outside our hotel. The roads are full of street sellers, little kids selling roses and ladies trying to sell fried bugs.. and oh yes the time had come for the guys to be generous enough to buy us a Scorpion to eat! Blergh, never again. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, god knows what they had sprinkled over them. Some sort of bbq/chilli seasoning or something ha. Also experienced my first foot massage on the street with a guy called Rob which was so relaxing, felt as if we could run a marathon after! Ha. 

The Grand Palace




Reclining Buddha




19th June

Alice was sick this morning, maybe from the Scorpion? Today we took a taxi over to the Reclining Buddah and went on the public boat across the river for 3 baht ( which equals to 5p)  to Wat Arun, also known as the Temple of Dawn. An enormous five-spired prong covered n ceramic and porcelain glass shardes. It was so steep but worth a visit despite how hot it was. 




Next stop.. Chiang Mai xx

2 comments:

  1. I wish it was me who was traveling to Thailand again, but I hope you had an amazing trip. Went there last year for 6 weeks and I miss it so much! xx Love your blog btw ^__^

    Cindy | mazedays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww it was amazing thankyou! I want to be back :( xxx

      Delete